Butter Flied Grilled Chicken with a Chile Lime Rub.
Home » Articles
[ Back to Articles ]
May 29, 2012
- 3 tbls chile powder
- 2 tbls olive oil
- 2 tsp freshly grated lime zest
- 3 tbls lime juice
- 1 tbls garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 whole 3 1/2 - to 4 - pount chicken
- Combine chile powder and oil in a small bowl with lime zest and juice, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, and cinnamon to form a paste.
- Using kitchen shears cut the chicken down one side of the backbone, through the ribs. Make an identical cut on the opposite side to remove the backbone completely; discard. Place the chicken cut-side down and flatten with the heel of your hand. Generously rub the spice rub under and over the skin and on the interior of the bird. Place in a baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Place the chicken skin-side down over the heat and grill until the skin begins to color and char marks form, about 5 minutes. Flip over and grill 5 minutes more. Move the chicken to the low flame. Close the lid and cook, making sure the chicken is flat until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh without touching bone registers 165 degrees F, 30 to 40 minutes. Transfer to a platter and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before carving.