Spanish Charred Fennel, Orange and Olive Salad.
Home » Articles
[ Back to Articles ]
July 20, 2011
- 10 small fennel bulbs
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large oranges, peeled and cut into segments
- Half cup of fresh orange juice
- 1 red onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- One Cup of black olives
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup of fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup of fresh washed parsley leaves
- Pre-heat oven to 375
- Remove the stalks from the fennel and cut each fennel bulb into 4 or 6 wedges, depending on the size.
- Place into a well-oiled baking tin - and drizzle over 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper
- Roast them for about 40-45 minutes or until tender, caramelized and charred on the edges. (Turn them once or twice during cooking.).
- Allow them to cool.
- Peel and slice the oranges into segments, making sure there is no membrane or pith on them. Add the finely sliced red onion and olives to the orange segments.
- Whisk the remaining oil with the orange juice and season well.
- Add half of the chopped mint leaves to the vinaigrette, mix well.
- Pour half the dressing over the orange mixture and gently mix.
- When you wish to assemble the salad, build up the salad by layering the orange mixture and roast fennel bulbs in alternate layers.
- Drizzle with the remaining dressing and scatter the remaining chopped mint over the top.
- Finely chop the reserved fennel fronds and scatter them over the top, as the final flourish!
- Great served with barbequed poultry or meats, especially Duck or Lamb.